10 Tips on How to Keep Teeth Happy and Healthy
1. Brush at least twice a day. Brush after breakfast and after your last meal at night (dinner or dessert). Choose a toothbrush with a small head for better access to back teeth. Soft bristles are kinder on your gums. You can buy the Sonicare toothbrush at our office and that is the one I would strongly recommend.
2. Use the right toothpaste. All teeth are different, you need to find the right toothpaste that makes your teeth feel good. For instance if you have sensitive teeth and gums, look for a toothpaste that is formulated to help ease your sensitivity.
3. Brush thoroughly. Tooth brushing should take between two and three minutes. So set a timer and make sure you brush up and down and take the full time to effectively clean your teeth, gums and tongue.
4. Floss your teeth daily. Use a slow and gentle sawing motion. Do not rush this process, if you are rushing you can be too hard on your gums which might cause irritation.
5. Limit acidic drinks like soft drinks, alcohol and fruit juices. As you know acid will soften tooth material and dissolve the minerals in tooth enamel, causing cavities. Acidic drinks are a big culprit for cavities. After an acidic drink make sure to swish your mouth with water.
6. Limit sugary foods. Bacteria in plaque change sugars into acids.
7. Protect your teeth from injury. Wear a mouthguard or full-face helmet when playing sports.
8. Eat your super foods. Incorporate some super foods into your diet to help keep your teeth strong and healthy.
9. Avoid using your teeth for anything other than chewing food. Fight the urge to use your teeth as a tool! This will weaken the teeth and can cause damage.
10. Come in and see us. If it has been 6 months or longer book an appointment to keep your mouth healthy. If you are having a dental problem such as a toothache or bleeding gums - book immediately.